- Additional questions please contact Ahtiya Johnson at 302-323-2702 or firstname.lastname@example.org
School Choice gives families the option to choose the best possible educational experience for their child in Delaware.
A parent residing within the State of Delaware may seek to enroll that parent’s child in a Delaware public school in any school district through the standard application form. Follow the steps below to begin the process to choose Colonial for your family.
- The Choice application for grades 1-12 for 2023-24 school year is now closed. You may continue to choice for kindergarten.
• Enrollment Procedures: English | Spanish
• School Choice Procedures
• School Choice Application
• Language Immersion
• Registration Forms
• Acceptance Guidelines
• Good Cause
Student Health forms: Grades K-6 • Grades 7-12
Why you should CHOOSE COLONIAL
Colonial Early Education Program
Comprised of preschool aged children with and without identified disabilities all preschool classes are taught by Delaware state certified early childhood educators, and all have at least one paraeducator. All classrooms have state certified speech/language pathologists, occupational therapists, and/or physical therapists who work in the preschool classrooms. CEEP classrooms implement a developmentally appropriate educational curriculum which focuses on language, social, cognitive, fine motor, and large motor growth.
Spanish language immersion programs
Language immersion is an educational approach in which students are taught the curriculum content through a second language. Students receive math, science, and social studies instruction in a target language, such as Spanish. Because of the teaching strategies used, students are able to develop literacy skills in both English and the target world language while attaining academic achievement that is at or above their grade level. In addition, students will develop world cultural sensitivity. Language immersion is a wonderful vehicle to prepare our students academically, linguistically and socially for the challenges and needs of our global community.
In an on-going effort to prepare students for the challenges of high school and beyond, the Colonial School District has redesigned our three existing middle schools.
Colonial’s approach to Middle School increases student engagement by providing a hands-on, relevant, and inquiry-based approach to learning. Theme schools cultivate student interests and talents while building a sense of community and school spirit. The Middle School experience furthers the District’s mission to prepare every student to be college and career ready.
Colonial Middle Schools . . .
- Expand upon William Penn’s 20 college and career degree programs.
- Foster unique themes at each middle school.
- Focus on the robust expectations of the Common Core State Standards 21st century learning and technology innovation.
- Include educators, students, parents and community stakeholders in the planning process.
William Penn High School
William Penn High School is committed to helping our students understand, connect, and act on critical global issues by integrating 21st century skills and experiences through degree programs. Once the school year begins, students will receive their recommended courses to complete their major in four years. By the student’s junior year, they will be able to determine their “concentration” and refine their focus. By graduation, students will complete their degree programs, have had the opportunity to work with local businesses and apply for local college credits and trade certifications.
Humanities College Academy
• Behavioral Sciences
• International Studies
• Legal Studies
• Visual & Performing Arts
Business College Academy
• Air Force Jr. ROTC
• Culinary Arts
• Financial Services
• Business Administration
STEM College Academy
• Architecture & Interior Design
• Allied Health
• Information Technology
Steps to choice your child into the Colonial School District
1. Pre-register at your Feeder School
- Find your feeder school at https://pubapps.doe.k12.de.us/SchoolLocator/FeederSchoolSearch.aspx and register at the listed school.
- You MUST register at your feeder school before a School Choice Application can be processed
2. Submit School Choice Application
- Online School Choice Applications can be found at www.schoolchoicede.org/Apply/Colonial or in paper form at any Colonial school.
- Completed applications must be received by 4 p.m. on January 12, 2022.
- Parents are permitted to identify up to three schools and/or program choices on the Choice Application.
- Any family interested in the Colonial’s Choice Language Immersion Programs must complete a School Choice Application regardless of their feeder school.
3. School Choice Lottery Notifications and Responses
- Once the School Choice Application submission period closes, a computer-generated lottery will be held in February.
- School Choice Invitations and Waiting List notifications will be both emailed and mailed to all applicants after the Colonial School District’s February 2021 Board Meeting. THIS DOES NOT PERTAIN TO KINDERGARTEN APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED AFTER THE CHOICE DEADLINE.
- Invited applicants must respond to their invitation within 2 weeks of receipt. A non-response by the deadline is considered a decline.
- Waiting Lists will be maintained until the first day of school should seats become available.