Dear Class of 2021 Parent(s) and Guardian(s) and Seniors:
William Penn High School knows that both students and parents are interested in a graduation ceremony of impressive and dignified proportions. Such a ceremony requires attention to detail and the cooperation of everyone involved.
GRADUATION WILL BE HELD JUNE 4TH AT 4:30 PM AT THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE STADIUM.
(Rain Date: June 5th at 11:00 am.)
- GRADUATES NEED TO ARRIVE AT 3:00 PM.
- DOORS WILL OPEN FOR SEATING AT 3:30 PM.
- DUE TO THE SIZE OF THE CLASS OF 2021 AND SOCIAL DISTANCING REQUIREMENTS, EACH SENIOR WILL RECEIVE TWO (2) TICKETS. EACH PAIR OF TICKETS MUST SIT TOGETHER.
- ANY PERSON AGED 2 OR OVER MUST HAVE A TICKET TO ENTER THE STADIUM.
- ANY PERSON ATTENDING THE GRADUATION CEREMONY MUST COMPLETE A HEALTH SCREENER: covidcheck.udel.edu OR SCAN THE CODE BELOW:
PLEASE COMPLETE THE SCREENER PRIOR TO ENTERING THE STADIUM.
YOU WILL BE ASKED TO SHOW THE VERIFICATION IN ORDER TO ENTER THE STADIUM.
- MASKS ARE STILL REQUIRED ON CAMPUS.
Graduation rehearsal is scheduled for June 3rd (at William Penn High School) and June 4th (at the University of Delaware Stadium). Please read below for SPECIFIC information about each practice date.
June 3rd Graduation Rehearsal Information at William Penn:
TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM WILLIAM PENN WILL NOT BE PROVIDED
- Students with last names A-K will practice in Gym 1 from 9:30 am – 11:00 am.
- Students with last names L-Z will practice in Gym 1 from 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm.
June 4th Graduation Rehearsal Information at University of Delaware*:
TRANSPORTATION WILL ONLY BE PROVIDED FROM WILLIAM PENN TO THE STADIUM AND BACK TO WILLIAM PENN. Please fill out this form if your child needs transportation from William Penn to the University of Delaware for practice. (Families/Students are responsible for transportation to and from William Penn.)
- All students will practice at the stadium: Time TBD
*If your student is driving, they should report directly to the University of Delaware Stadium.
ALL SENIORS WHO ARE PARTICIPATING IN GRADUATION CEREMONY ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN EACH REHEARSAL.
Graduation tickets will be distributed to seniors on June 3rd during the practice held at William Penn High School – see above. Two tickets will be issued to each graduate. There are no extra tickets and seating will be on a first come, first serve basis. Anyone requesting handicap seating, must send an email to Mrs. Jones at MichelleMarie.Jones@colonial.k12.de.us to reserve the tickets. Please include your senior’s name in the request. Requests without the senior’s name will not be honored. Only one person may accompany anyone seated in handicap seating.
- All students who are participating in the ceremony must wear a cap & gown purchased from Josten’s.
- If you still have not picked up your cap and gown or need to order, please contact Mrs. Dena Broadnax at Dena.Broadnax@colonial.k12.de.us.
- Seniors MAY NOT decorate their caps.
- Only National Honor Society stoles/garments may be worn.
- All graduates must wear proper attire that is appropriate for this occasion. Proper attire includes:
- Dress, skirt, blouse or dress slacks.
- Collared dress shirt, collared polo shirt, tie, slacks.
- Dress shoes – Please keep in mind that students will be seated on metal bleachers and hard flooring will be placed on the field. Students are STRONGLY encouraged to wear flat comfortable shoes. Sandals, sneakers, and flip flops are NOT considered appropriate footwear.
PLEASE NOTE: The William Penn Administration reserves the right to determine what is and what is not appropriate attire.
- On June 4th, students should arrive at the stadium and be dressed in their graduation attire. Please carry your tassel and be sure to not lose it; we do not have extra tassels.
- Graduates should not be using their cell phones for any reason during the ceremony. All phones should be put away and remain unseen.
INFORMATION FOR BOTH SENIORS AND PARENTS/GUARDIANS/GUESTS
- Students must meet all graduation requirements in order to participate in the commencement exercises.
- Diplomas will be held from students who have not cleared their obligations and/or paid their Senior Dues. THE LAST DAY TO SETTLE OBLIGATIONS IS JUNE 2ND.
- Letters regarding student obligations have been sent out. If you are not sure if your student has an obligation, please contact Mrs. Burns at Merlyn.Burns@colonial.k12.de.us.
- If you have not paid your Senior Dues, you may pay them by cash or money order in C100, Monday -Friday from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
For online payments using a debit or credit card:
Go to: https://www.myschoolbucks.com/ver2/prdembd?ref=ZZH56859SX0827V_ZZ5QAXODDH8PX98 (A 3.95% transaction fee will be applied.)
- A commercial photographer will be taking individual pictures of each graduate. Order forms will be mailed home at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Family members and guests are to remain in their seats, keeping aisles clear until the ceremony is complete. Those taking pictures may do so only from their seats. All applause should be held until the entire class has been called. As you know, every member of the audience is waiting to hear that special name; therefore, we ask that you refrain from making noise or inappropriate actions during the ceremony. These acts are in poor taste and detract from the dignity of the graduation ceremony.
- Noisemakers (including radios and air horns) and balloons are not permitted in the stadium These items will be confiscated and will not be returned.
- Diplomas will be withheld from graduates who display behavior that distracts from the ceremony; this includes throwing of hats, dancing, hand gestures, etc.
- Due to enhanced security measures, you are asked not to bring large bags into the stadium. You will be asked to leave them in your vehicles.
- When entering the stadium, please go directly to your seat to your pre-assigned seat. When exiting the stadium, please exit from the stands and move directly to the parking lot.
- There will be a separate entrance/exit for handicap seating.
- Parents and guests are not permitted on the stadium floor.
- Anyone appearing to be under the influence of an illegal substance (alcohol or drugs) will not be permitted to take part in the ceremony or enter the University of Delaware Stadium. There is no smoking on the property.
- We STRONGLY suggest that you plan for traffic. As graduation is scheduled for Friday afternoon/evening, please plan accordingly to avoid traffic delays.
- Parking is located directly in front of the stadium.
In order to avoid traffic delays due to heavy congestion in the Newark area, graduates should plan to arrive at the stadium no later than 3:00 p.m. on June 4th. Graduation will begin promptly at 4:30 PM. We strongly encourage parents and guests to arrive no later than 3:30 PM to avoid potential traffic delays caused by afternoon congestion in Newark. The doors to the stadium will open at 3:30 p.m. for guest admittance. Late parents and guests are a serious distraction from the ceremony. We ask for your help in preserving the dignity of the ceremony by arriving on time and remaining in your seat throughout the duration of the ceremony. Parents and guests should not leave the ceremony early.
Graduates will immediately exit the stadium once their diploma has been received and will meet families/guests in the parking lot/area. It would benefit families and graduates if a predetermined meeting place was designated in the parking lot area.
Congratulations on your success and best wishes for the future.
Ms. Lisa R. Brewington, M. Ed and Mr. Kevin A. White, M. Ed.
Ms. Maria Berrios
Senior Class Advisor