Lead Water Updates
As we continue to work with State officials on the ongoing concerns related to lead levels in school buildings, we have created this page containing all the information that we receive from the Department of Education and/or the Division of Public Health. This page is intended to ensure transparency and to keep our families and staff up-to-date on all of the information the state shares with the Colonial School District (CSD) related to these important concerns. This page will be updated every Monday while this project is taking place.
Updates and Resources for Families
Resources & Questions
- Lead Testing Results: 2/23 February 23, 2023
- Lead Water Testing February 21, 2023
- Lead water testing: February 16th February 16, 2023
- Lead Water Testing Update: February 9th, 2023 February 9, 2023
- Lead Water Update – February 2: Carrie Downie, Colonial Early Education Program, Eisenberg, Gunning Bedford, New Castle Elementary and William Penn February 2, 2023
- Update for Southern and N3: January 20, 2023 January 25, 2023
- Drinking water sampling for lead in Delaware schools December 14, 2022
- Update from DOE regarding Lead in schools November 14, 2022
- Update on Lead: November 10, 2022 November 10, 2022
- Lead levels at CSD schools October 4, 2022
Colonial Lead water re-testing scheduleUpdated February 22nd: We have now received and reported on the results of lead water testing in every school in Colonial. There will be no further weekly updates. In response to the difficulty in navigating the State’s results website, simplified result information is now available in the table below.
Our Facilities team is now working on remediation plans for all buildings. Due to continued supply chain issues and the lack of availability of parts and contractors, we are unable to provide timelines for these plans. If you have any concerns about the availability of water in any building due to fixtures being shut off, please contact your school Principal or through the contact link on our site. Sampling and testing is being conducted by BATTA environmental. All questions regarding any information in this chart should be submitted via the web form on our website.
|School||Scheduled Date of Testing Completion||Status||Link to CSD School Results||Date Results Received|
|Carrie Downie Elementary School||1/20/23||Complete||Results||1/31/23|
|Castle Hills Elementary School||2/3/23||Complete||Results||2/21/23|
|Eisenberg Elementary School||1/10/23||Complete||Results||1/31/23|
|George Read Middle School||1/21/23||Complete||Results||2/7/23|
|McCullough Middle School||1/25/23||Complete||Results||2/7/23|
|New Castle Elementary School||1/24/23||Complete||Results||1/31/23|
|Pleasantville Elementary School||1/5/23||Complete||Results||2/7/23|
|Southern Elementary School||1/11/23||Complete||Results||1/19/23|
|Wilbur Elementary School||1/24/23||Complete||Results||2/7/23|
|Wilmington Manor Elementary School||1/14/23||Complete||Results||2/7/23|
For more information in regards to state-wide efforts, please visit https://publichealthalerts.delaware.gov/safe-school-drinking-water/#data-sampling-results
Response Protocol for receipt of building lead testing results
Upon receipt of any testing results received from Department of Education (DOE), the Department of Public Health (DPH) or the private contractor conducting the tests, Colonial will take the following steps to ensure transparent and consistent communication to our community:
- The CSD Facilities Supervisor will immediately share results with the impacted school’s chief custodian, Building Principal, CSD Division of Health and Wellness and Communications Department.
- The school’s building chief custodian will work with the school custodial staff to immediately shut off any elevated fixtures and post appropriate signage.
- The CSD Communication Department will follow the communication protocol provided by DOE and update the district webpage with the result information at http://www.colonialschooldistrict.org/lead-water-updates/.
- Within 48 hrs of receipt, the CSD Facilities Supervisor will review results with the school Building Chief and Principal to determine any impact to school operations.
- If elevated water fixtures being unavailable will cause a disruption to staff or students, an alternate water source will be provided.
- The CSD Facilities Supervisor will discuss remediation steps and timeline with District Administrators and State Officials.