Welcome to the start of something truly special.
The Colonial School District full day kindergarten program is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment that celebrates each child’s learning potential, while developing his or her unique identity. The anticipated outcome of full day kindergarten is to acquire the essential skills necessary to be successful in first grade and beyond.
“Love this school and the way your child is put first…my child has a learning disability and she has so many champions in her corner….also the weekly videos are a fun way to see what’s going on in their day!!! I love it. All 5 of my kids have gone here, and I have never regretted a single moment of my choice!!!”
– Carrie Downie Parent
Goals & Objectives:
- To provide opportunities for children to have learning experiences that are child-centered and developmentally appropriate.
- To involve students in hands-on experiences that provide the opportunity for more in-depth exploration of skills and concepts.
- To emphasize language development and appropriate pre-literacy experiences.
- To create the appropriate learning environment that addresses the diverse needs of each student as an individual learner.
- To provide experiences that foster development, innovation, attitudes, values and perceptions and encourage all children to recognize and attain their full potential.
- To creatively integrate technology throughout the instructional curriculum, thereby ensuring access to the learning tools of the 21st century.
- To provide experiences that empower families to become partners in the education of their children.
Kindergarten students will spend the year learning to:
- Listen, understand, & follow school expectations.
- Recognize upper & lower case letters & numbers up to 100.
- Print first & last name beginning with a capital letter followed by lower case letters.
Listen to & discuss stories.
- Think mathematically & investigate to solve problems with numbers, data, & space.
- Understand & identify the five senses.
- Develop expressive writing skills.
- Socialize & enjoy learning with their peers.
How do I register my child?
Please provide your child’s school with the following by August 31st
• Child’s original birth certificate with state seal.
• Proof of residence (i.e. signed lease, mortgage agreement, or current gas, water, or electric bill).
• Proof of immunizations, doctor’s physical exam, lead screening and all required medical tests (a form may be provided to take to the doctor).
• Completed Registration forms
Do you provide breakfast & lunch?
How old does my child have to be to attend kindergarten?
Do you provide transportation?
All Kindergarten classes in the Colonial School District are full day. You can register at any elementary school in the Colonial School District during school hours or online.
Children who will be five years old on or before August 31 of the current year, are eligible to attend kindergarten. To register a child, parents must bring the child’s original birth certificate, immunization record (including proof of Hepatitis-B immunization and lead screening), a physical or one scheduled, and at least one proof of residence (current gas, water or electric bill, home lease or title).
Step 1: Find your Child’s Feeder School
A student’s feeder school is the school that the district assigns the student to attend. Use the online School Locator Search to locate your feeder school district and local elementary school.
Even if you decide to participate in the School Choice process later, you will need to register with your feeder pattern elementary school first.
Step 2: Prepare and gather your documents
To register, we will need several supporting documents to complete your child’s registration.
We highly recommend you gather these documents before starting Step 3.
- The following supporting documents are needed for registration
Step 3: Take photos of documents and move photos or scans to a desktop or laptop computer
Take a picture or scan copies of following supporting documents. Using your phone or tablet is fine as long as the pictures aren’t cut off or blurry.
The Documents (photos or scanned copies) needed include:
- Your valid Delaware Driver’s License or Delaware ID Card
- Your Child’s Official Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residence (such as a Current electric, water or sewer bill or signed rental lease, deed or settlement agreement)
- Immunization Records Grades K-6 • Grades 7-12
Registering and completing the registration form will be much easier from a desktop or laptop computer.
• Get the photos or scans of the supporting docs from step 2 to the computer where you will complete the registration form. (such as email the docs to yourself, airdrop, etc). You will need to be able to access these documents from a computer when you complete Step 4.
QUESTIONS? Email your school’s secretary
- Carrie Downie: Dominique.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Castle Hills: email@example.com
- Eisenberg: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pleasantville: email@example.com
- New Castle: Carmen.Corsi@colonial.k12.de.us
- Southern: Carmen.Word@colonial.k12.de.us
- Wilbur: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wilmington Manor: Shannon.Smith@colonial.k12.de.us
In Person Registration: Download and complete registration form.
When in person registration is available, please visit your child's feeder school with the following forms and supporting documents. Each link below will download as a pdf you can complete right on your computer.
- Student Registration Card: Spanish • English
- Home Language Survey: Spanish • English
- Residence Verification Form: Spanish • English
- Change of Address Form: Spanish • English
- DE MKV Student Residency Questionnaire
- Military Connected Youth Information form: Spanish • English
- English Agricultural Work Survey