The Colonial School District (CSD) collectively mourns the horrific school shooting that happened in Uvalde, Texas yesterday. The mass murder of 19 innocent children and two of their teachers leaves us all questioning how to help our own children make sense of a senseless act. It also leaves us wondering how to better protect our students.
Our trained school counselors, school psychologists, mental health professionals, and school nurses are prepared to talk to students who may have a need to express their feelings. It is important to recognize that young people, just like adults, are likely experiencing a range of emotions that may include sadness, fear, rage, and hopelessness, all of which are okay. Please remind your child(ren) that their teachers will direct them to those who can provide the emotional support they may need at this time. For written guidance on how to talk to your children at home about violence click THIS LINK; a Spanish version is offered HERE.
Regarding school safety – please know CSD has taken many precautions. Among them:
- The district participates in active shooter training sessions and lockdown drills. Tabletop exercises typically occur at least once a year or more.
- All students participate in lockdown/intruder drills on a regular basis.
- William Penn, Wallin, and all middle schools have assigned constables on-site. Constables are armed retired police officers who are charged with safeguarding the schools while interacting with students and staff. All constables are prepared to respond to elementary schools when called upon.
- A School Resource Officer (SRO) from the Delaware State Police is on-site at William Penn.
- One constable is assigned solely to our elementary schools and circulates from school to school
- All schools are equipped with outdoor and indoor surveillance cameras which are monitored by administrators, secretaries, & constables.
- All 18 of our building locations have a central indicated Main Entrance which is locked by a controlled access system with a camera and intercom that allows staff to view visitors before allowing them to enter.
- Over the last several years, Colonial has begun investing in installing secured entrance security vestibules in all of our buildings. We are actively working to complete these as soon as possible.
- Colonial support staff (administrators, school counselors, school psychologists, mental health professionals, school nurses) consistently seek out and meet with students who are experiencing social-emotional challenges at school and at home. We strive to connect these students and their families to resources at school (such as our Elementary and High School Wellness Centers and school-based therapists) and in the community (such as private counseling as well as in and outpatient services at local hospitals.)
CSD is committed to providing a safe learning and working environment for our students, staff, and community through the development of intervention and training prevention programs. Our team of safety officers and leadership will make every effort within the district’s capabilities to provide a safe and secure environment for all its students, staff, and community.
In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers remain with the families, students, and staff at Robb Elementary School.
CSD Leadership Team