Coming Soon-CSD Virtual Academy
Out of an abundance of caution for students and staff, the Colonial School District announced plans last week to start the first six weeks of school fully remotely. Our instructional team has spent months developing a rigorous curriculum for students who will be learning from home starting on September 8th.
For a look at the Virtual Academy, please visit:
Register for Kindergarten!
Will your child be 5 years old on or before August 31st? If so, REGISTER FOR KINDERGARTEN today!
If your student needs a Chromebook for the upcoming school year, a device deployment has been scheduled for students who need a Chromebook or need to swap out a defective Chromebook. The deployment dates are:
- Thursday, August 27 from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 3 from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Two (2) Locations:
- William Penn High School and Gunning Bedford Middle School
- You can pick up a Chromebook at either location
- EVERY Colonial student is entitled to a Chromebook as long as they attend a Colonial school
Why you should pick up and use a Colonial Chromebook
Safe & Secure
Colonial School District monitors our student devices using web-filtering tools to ensure your student’s safety during both remote learning and face-to-face learning!
The Right Tools
WE can install the correct learning tools required on each student device to avoid student frustrations during remote learning and face-to-face learning!
WE have technology staff that can easily troubleshoot Colonial devices when issues or problems occur. Our staff cannot provide support for home or personal devices.
EQUITY for ALL LEARNERS!
Giving every student access to devices will no longer be a barrier for student learning!
Don’t Miss Virtual Open Houses
After spending the summer planning for the return to school, the Colonial School District staff is excited to meet families during Virtual Open Houses. During this time, families will meet the teacher(s) and learn about grade level and behavioral expectations, curriculum, schedules, grading, and educational technology platforms.
- How to attend your virtual open house:
- Each family will receive an invite within 24 hours of the open house date from their school that will include the time in which to log on to the Zoom session.
- If you do not receive an invite, please contact your school principal at: http://www.colonialschooldistrict.org/back-to-school-2020/bts-2020-dates/
Virtual Open House dates for each school in the Colonial School District:
- Carrie Downie: September 1, 2020
- Castle Hills: September 1, 2020
- Preschool: October 8, 2020
- Eisenberg: September 1, 2020
- New Castle: August 31 and September 1, 2020
- Pleasantville: September 1, 2020
- Southern: August 31 and September 1, 2020
- Wilbur: August 31 and September 1, 2020
- Wilmington Manor: September 1, 2020
- Gunning Bedford: September 2, 2020
- McCullough: September 2, 2020
- George Read: September 2, 2020
- William Penn: September 3, 2020
- Wallin: September 3, 2020
- Leach: September 2, 2020
Tips for Parents/Guardians of our Remote Learners
- Help your child maintain a regular sleep schedule (especially middle and high schoolers). Wake them up for Zoom meetings, if needed.
- Check in to see whether your child needs a break, snack, or drink.
- Set boundaries, so your child knows when you are available to help, and when they need to work independently,
- Take care of your own well-being (physically, emotionally, mentally).
We’ve compiled a list of vendors who are currently providing free or discounted internet connectivity.
- Comcast: https://www.internetessentials.com/apply
- Atlantic BroadBand: Keep families connected plan
- Verizon: Lifeline Discount Plan
- Verizon Wireless: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/covid-19-faqs/
- AT&T: https://www.att.com/help/covid-19/ – FAQ3
- T-Mobile: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/covid-19-updates