Class attendance will be taken for daily zoom sessions. It will be marked in the Teacher Access Center. Students are considered absent for the day if they miss more than ½ their daily zoom sessions.
The teacher may mark a student present for the completion of asynchronous classwork when appropriate. For example, on a Remote learning day with no formal zoom lessons, technical issues, or if a student is absent from zoom but completed the daily assignments in Schoology.
Teachers should discuss circumstances for missing zoom with school leaders. Parents can provide documentation for child care centers that are unable to allow devices.
Existing district attendance policies will be in effect for excused and unexcused absences. Please consult individual school policies for submitting absence excuse notes/documentation. During remote learning, families will receive automated phone calls to alert you of your child’s absence.
Additionally, students need to actively participate in their daily learning. This participation includes but is not limited to being present in the online learning environment when they:
- Actively engage in live Zoom session
- Some examples demonstrating active participation may include turn cameras on, respond in the chat, participate in breakout rooms, turn mics on to participate in whole- or small-group discussions
- Cameras may not be required.
- Daily independent online assignments are to be submitted through Schoology to demonstrate learning.
- Participate in online programs (Dreambox, ST Math, Imagine Learning, Imagine Math.)
Colonial Attendance Procedures:
Colonial Schools require that parents/guardians submit written notice for any/all of the following occurrences:
- All cases of absence or tardiness
- Requests for early dismissal
- Notification of extended absence
- Parent pick up at Dismissal
Colonial School District will accept a digital absence note from our website or mobile app. Parents may submit an absence note directly to their schools attendance secretary by completing this form: Colonial Absence Note
Note: Requests for early dismissal or extended absences must be made in advance. Permission will be granted in accordance with the policy of the school and district. Students will not be released to anyone under the age of 18, regardless of notes made on the form. Schools may need to call to confirm information with parent or guardian
Be sure to submit the note within five days or the absence will be recorded as unexcused.
- When your student is sick
- When your child has a medical appointment
- A death in the immediate family
- A contagious illness
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Hazardous conditions
- Approved college visits
- Vacations/travel are NOT excused absences
- Oversleeping or missing the bus or Car problems
- Relatives visiting from out of town
- Child’s birthday
- Staying home to babysit or work