January 27, 2022
Dear Parents/Guardians and Students:
We have learned of positive COVID-19 cases at the following Colonial Schools:
- Castle Hills (1 individual),
- Colonial Early Education Program (1 individual),
- George Read (1 individual),
- Gunning Bedford (1 individual),
- Wilbur (7 individuals),
- William Penn (1 individual),
- Wilmington Manor (1 individual).
- Additionally, we had 2 individuals associated with multiple schools (Colonial Early Education Program, George Read, Southern, Wallin, William Penn) test positive for COVID-19.
Individuals identified as positive for COVID-19 will not return to school until the isolation period has passed. School teams continue to contact trace for each positive case and notify anyone who has been in close contact with the individuals. Identified close contacts may be required to complete a quarantine before returning to school. Individual decisions on quarantining are made in consultation with the affected individual and DPH epidemiologists.
Please visit https://coronavirus.delaware.gov to learn more about DPH protocols around positive COVID-19 cases in schools.
We always encourage you to monitor your child for any symptoms of COVID-19. If a student or staff
member is sick with any of the following symptoms, they must stay home : fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, muscle aches, fatigue, chills, shaking with chills, loss of smell or taste, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, or headache or congestion or runny nose without a known cause such as allergies.
Our school nurses are available to support your family by reviewing symptoms to watch for, answering questions you may have, assisting with follow-up communication, and providing further information on available testing sites. COVID-19 testing is free and available in our local community.
DPH encourages all Delawareans – whether they are experiencing symptoms or not – to consider getting a free COVID-19 test. That will help our state more accurately track the spread of the disease and keep our communities healthy. Visit https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/testing/ for the latest updates on COVID-19 in Delaware and information on free COVID-19 testing in Delaware.
DPH also encourages eligible Delawareans to receive the COVID-19 Vaccine. For more information about the COVID-19 Vaccine and locations nearest you, please visit https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/vaccine/ .
Colonial School District continues to adhere to strict health and safety protocols. This is our best defense against COVID-19 and its spread. District custodial staff are informed of the positive cases as appropriate and are following prescribed protocols for cleaning in accordance with the most up-to-date health guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and DPH.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your building administrative team.
Jon Cooper, EdD
District COVID-19 Coordinator
SELF SCREENING FOR STUDENTS
The Delaware Department of Education and Delaware Department of Health and Social Services’ Division of Public Health have requested that we provide you information regarding practices related to COVID-19.
We request that students and/or their families complete a health assessment consisting of a self-screening every morning before leaving for school.
Please answer any of the following questions:
- In the past 14 days, have you been near(within 6 feet for at least 15 minute) a person who has a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19, or have you had direct contact with their mucus or saliva?
- In the last 48 hours., have you had any of the following symptoms
- Fever of 100. 4 For above ( or symptoms like alternating shivering and sweating)
- New cough
- New trouble breathing, shortness of breathe or severe wheezing
- New chills or shaking with chills
- New muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- New loss of smell or taste
- Headache, congestion, runny nose (with no other known cause such as allergies}
If you answered YES to any of the questions above, DO NOT send your child to school today. Instead contact your child’s primary health care provider.
(This screening tool was adapted at from the mayo clinic’s online self assessment. To use the Mayo Clinic’s tool online, visit http://mayoclinic.com/covid-19-self-assessment-tool