The Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) is closely monitoring the coronavirus disease and has provided school districts with cautionary guidelines. Please keep in mind that there are no confirmed cases in the Colonial School District or the state of Delaware. We do, however, want to be proactive to keep students and staff safe. We ask that everyone in Colonial Nation consider the following advice:
The best precautions to take are the ones always recommended for avoiding colds and flu:
– Stay home if you are sick and avoid healthy people. Do not send children to school if they have above-normal temperatures;
– cover nose and mouth with your sleeve while coughing or sneezing;
– wash hands frequently with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
– avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth;
– avoid others who are sick.
Staff will also assist by regularly cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces in classrooms, offices, restrooms, and hallways. The district’s custodial staff is also equipped to disinfect all areas daily.
We ask parents to advise your child’s school nurse in advance of international travel.
Finally, DPH is reporting more than 5000 cases of the flu, with 11 deaths statewide. In addition to following the above-mentioned precautions, DPH highly recommends getting an influenza shot.
Anyone with concerns should contact their healthcare provider or visit https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/index.html
PDF of this Advisory: English Colonial School District Health Advisory Regarding the Coronavirus and Influenza | Spanish ESP Colonial School District Health Advisory Regarding the Coronavirus and Influenza