UD AGRI 217: Leadership and Communication in Agriculture (Fall Semester)

Communication skills as they relate to leadership styles will be explored.  Practical experience in oral and written communication as well as social media will occur with a hybrid course with one session in class and on on-line. This course leads to micro-credentials. 

Upon “successful” completion of this course, students will earn 3 college credits + 1 high school AP-weighted credit. This UDel course is offered at William Penn High School, during school hours.

  • Level of Support: Tier 3
  • University: University of Delaware
  • Type: Face-to-Face @ Penn 1 day a week then asynchronous assignments the rest of the week, Fall Semester
  • Instructor: UD’s team of instructors: Dr. Rogers, Ms. Volk, Mr. LaPenta, & Ms. Mannering
  • Grade Level: 10-12th; Great for students interested in Agriculture, Business, Communications, and/or Hospitality Industries
  • Cost: FREE of cost
  • Payment: n/a

Textbooks for this course will be supplied by William Penn

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What is the AGRI 217 Leadership and Communication in Ag course about?

UD AGRI 217 explores communication skills as they relate to leadership styles. Practical experience in oral and written communication as well as social media will occur with a hybrid course with one session in class and online. This course leads to micro-credentials. 

Course Objectives:

● Identify leadership styles and how they impact communication skills.

● Understand and apply the basic tenets of oral and written communications.

● Understand the role of digital media in communications and explore best practices.

See the full syllabus below.

2. Why should I take this course?

You will earn valuable experience and knowledge by taking this course! Regardless of what you want to study after high school, leadership and communication are skills you can use in any industry! Additionally, taking college courses in high school has several benefits. In the best-case scenario, you are earning credits early that you can use in college, saving you time and money! Even if the credits do not transfer, it is still a great resume builder for any college, setting you apart in the pile of applicants. In other words, successfully completing college credits in high school could give you an advantage when applying to competitive schools. 

3. When and how is this course offered?

The UD AGRI 217 course will be offered during your Period 3 agriculture course (Plant Systems Management or Domestic Animal Management). This course will only run during Marking Periods 1 & 2. The rest of the year will be fully Mrs. Emerson and Mrs. Hawkin’s teaching.

During the Fall semester, UD instructors will come into your class one day a week. We will use other period 3 class days to work on the asynchronous assignments each week. There may be some additional homework to complete the assignments each week.

4. How much does this course cost?

This course is FREE to William Penn students. Usually, a three-credit college course costs $4,500 at UD! Through our partnership with UD, they are giving our students this course at no cost.

William Penn High School/ Colonial School District will be purchasing the $40 textbook associated with the course. 

5. How many credits will I get for this course?

Students will earn three college credits at UD PLUS an additional one full AP-level credit toward high school graduation. These credits are in addition to the full credit you will earn for taking your Level 3 Ag pathway course: Mrs. Emerson’s Domestic Animal Management course or Mrs. Hawkin’s Plant Systems Management course. 

AP-level courses are weighted heavier in your high school GPA, giving you a great boost when you do well!

6. What if I don't plan on going to UD after high school? Are the credits transferrable?

It is up to the college you plan on attending if they are willing and able to transfer the credits. Usually, credits are transferrable if the college has a similar course they can substitute it for, and if the student earns a final grade of C or higher. This course is pretty specific to UD so it may not transfer elsewhere. 

That being said, having a college course under your belt can help give you an advantage when applying to other schools. It is a great resume builder. Taking college courses in high school also prepares you for the rigor you will see later on. 

7. How do I apply and register?

To apply and register for this UD AGRI 217 course, please sign up for an appointment with Ms. Cuje: https://calendly.com/cuje/60min

STEP 1: Ms. Cuje will walk you through the UD online application. You will need to know your Social Security Number to complete this application. 

You will need your Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the app. Please be very cautious with this number since it is tied to your identity. You want to be very skeptical whom you give it to because that’s how peoples’ identities get stolen. However, medical forms and college courses are two legitimate examples of when you will need to share that number.

STEP 2: Sign and return the Registration Form to Ms. Cuje. This form requires a parent/guardian signature.

STEP 3: Set up your UD email. UD will send you instructions to your personal email to set up your UD account. 

8. What other college courses are offered at William Penn?

William Penn offers a wide variety of Early College and Dual Enrollment courses. We have courses for almost every major! Check out our updated list here: http://www.colonialschooldistrict.org/penninnovation/view-all-college-courses/ If you’d like to discuss any of these other courses, please reach out to Ms. Cuje via Schoology message or email at sarah.cuje@colonial.k12.de.us.

Transfer of College credit after attending through Early College Programs
Students who subsequently enroll in Dual Enrollment or Early College courses enjoy advanced standing. Many colleges and universities will generally accept credits earned through programs of this type. Some will not. Most colleges and universities will accept credits from other institutions if a grade of “C” or better is earned. The student and/or their parents/guardian should contact the college or university of their choice to determine whether Dual Enrollment or Early College credits will be accepted. Students may have to send an official transcript from the partnering higher education institution to the college or university of their choice to aid in the college’s decision. Each institution applies these credits differently.