All students are expected to attend school each day that it is in operation during the regular school year, unless properly excused, in accordance with state regulations. Excuses recognized as valid are the following:
- Illness of the student.
- Medical diagnosis and or treatment
- Death in the immediate family; funerals of other relatives or close friends, not to exceed one day if in the locality or three days if outside the state
- Contagious disease in the home of the child subject to regulations of the Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Social Services
- Legal business requiring the student’s presence
- Suspension or expulsion from school
- Observance of religious holidays
- Authorized school-sponsored activities
For any absence, students are required to present a written excuse signed by a parent/guardian. The note should include:
- Your child’s name and room number
- The date of the absence and the reason for the absence
- The parent/ guardian’s signature
These excuses will be kept on file in the school for the current school year. A physician ‘ s validation may be required at any time. Absences for any reason other than those outlined above are unexcused. Students absent more than three days without valid excuses are truant. Parents/guardians of such students may be subject to legal penalties under the Delaware code.Senate Bill 304 has mandated certain action be taken following the 10th, 15th, and 30th day of unexcused absence.
Following the 10th day of unexcused absence, the parent/guardian will be notified by regular mail to contact the principal and schedule a conference within five days.
Following the 15th day of unexcused absence, the school will refer the case for prosecution.
Students have the opportunity to make up schoolwork missed due to excused absences, subject to guidelines in the Student Code of Conduct. Students who demonstrate perfect attendance will be honored each marking period with a certificate. Because the school staff believes that arriving at school on time is very important, students who accumulate 3 or more tardies in a marking period will not be eligible for this award. Students need to be at school by 7:35 a.m.