The Colonial School District full day kindergarten program is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment that celebrates each child’s learning potential, while developing his or her unique identity. The anticipated outcome of full day kindergarten is to acquire the essential skills necessary to be successful in first grade and beyond.
Goals & Objectives
- To provide opportunities for children to have learning experiences that are child-centered and developmentally appropriate.
- To involve students in hands-on experiences that provide the opportunity for more in-depth exploration of skills and concepts.
- To emphasize language development and appropriate pre-literacy experiences.
- To create the appropriate learning environment that addresses the diverse needs of each student as an individual learner.
- To provide experiences that foster development in the affective domains and encourage all children to recognize and attain their full potential.
- To creatively integrate technology throughout the instructional curriculum, thereby ensuring access to the learning tools of the 21st century.
- To provide experiences that empower families to become partners in the education of their children.
Kindergarten students will begin the year learning to:
- Listen, understand, & follow school rules.
- Recognize upper & lower case letters & numbers up to 20.
- Print first & last name beginning with a capital letter followed by lower case letters.
- Listen to & discuss stories.
- Think mathematically & investigate to solve problems with numbers, data, & space.
- Understand & identify the five senses.
- Develop expressive writing skills.
- Socialize & enjoy learning with their peers.
Early Admission to Kindergarten
In unique circumstances and on an individual basis, a child whose 5th birthday falls between September 1st and November 30th may be considered for early admission to kindergarten.
Such students will need to demonstrate testing results that place them in the upper 5% of all children his/her age on a standardized, norm-referenced test. This means they must score in the superior range (120 or above) in both cognitive and academic screening.
Please contact Student Services at 302-323-2872 for more information
“Love this school and the way your child is put first…my child has a learning disability and she has so many champions in her corner….also the weekly videos are a fun way to see what’s going on in their day!!! I love it. All 5 of my kids have gone here, and I have never regretted a single moment of my choice!!!”
– Carrie Downie Parent
All Kindergarten classes in the Colonial School District are full day. You can register at any elementary school in the Colonial School District during school hours. Children who will be five years old on or before August 31 of the current year, are eligible to attend kindergarten. To register a child, parents must bring the child’s original birth certificate, immunization record (including proof of Hepatitis-B immunization and lead screening), a physical or one scheduled, and at least one proof of residence (current gas, water or electric bill, home lease or title).
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION SITES
Carrie Downie: (302) 323-2926
Castle Hills: (302) 323-2915
Colwyck: (302) 429-4085
Eisenberg: (302) 429-4074
Pleasantville: (302) 323-2935
Southern: (302) 832-6300
Wilmington Manor:(302) 323-2901
Kathleen H Wilbur: (302) 832-6330
EARLY ADMISSION TO KINDERGARTEN
For information on Early Admission, please call Schools Division at (302) 323-2716
How old does my child have to be to attend kindergarten?
Do you provide transportation?
Do you provide breakfast & lunch?
How do I register my child?
• Child’s original birth certificate with state seal.
• Proof of residence (i.e. signed lease, mortgage agreement, or current gas, water, or electric bill).
• Proof of immunizations, doctor’s physical exam, lead screening and all required medical tests (a form may be provided to take to the doctor).
• Completed Student Data Card