WeLe@rn: Remote Learning
We know remote teaching and learning at home with devices can be a challenge, but we have taken steps to make it easier for adults to help students.
WE have been working hard to ensure ACCESS and OPPORTUNITY for all of our students through our device deployment. Over 7,000 students have received devices at this point and we have successfully shifted into LEADERSHIP and LEARNING, our remote learning environment in Colonial.
Does your student need help with technology?
- Request a new student device
- Request a replacement for a broken student device
- Ask technology related questions in regards to Remote Learning in CSD
This page is a resource hub for parents during this time of remote learning in Colonial. Please bookmark and check this page often as we will be updating the information regularly.
Remote Learning Links
Schoology for Parents Overview, Managing Your Child’s Chromebook and more
- Accessing Remote Learning in Colonial School District
Provides an overview for parents to assist students with learning at home.
Dates, Schedules and more
- Colonial End of Year Dates
- Marking Period Update
Here you will find outlines of schedules for each of our grade configurations which allows our teachers to create a schedule that works best for them and their students. Check with your child’s teacher for the most up to date schedule for your child.
Colonial School Counselors and School Nurses are Here for You
Colonial School Counselors are continuing to provide important social-emotional support for all students, PK-12 as well as traditional college prep and scheduling support for our students at William Penn. Colonial School Nurses are continuing to keep in contact with families and students to ensure that they are getting the resources that they need to remain healthy during this challenging time. If you have a question for your School Counselor or School Nurse, the best way to contact them directly is through email. Click on the links below to see your School Counselor and School Nurse daily schedules.
Important Topics and Updates
Zoom is a virtual meeting platform that our teachers will be using on a regular basis to connect with students. As a reminder, participants do not have to share their screen.
If you do not wish for your child to participate via Zoom, contact your child’s teacher.
School Packet/Handout Resources
These voluntary learning opportunities come with NO EXPECTATIONS for completion or grading. It is an opportunity to engage students while they are out and to provide some normalcy during the extended school closing period. These packets are parallel to the digital work.
- Audible Stories
- Author Read Alouds – Authors reading their books!
- Imagine Language and Literacy (ILL Parent Access Letter (English, Spanish)
- Discovery Intensive Phonics (RHDiscovery and RHElevate)
- SORA (Access via CLEVER)
- Read Aloud Resources
- Scholastic Learn at Home– Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing. (grades Pre-K-6+)
- WillBooks (Free online books Pre-k- 3rd grade, including Spanish books)
- CommonLit-provides relevant articles to read and questions to support comprehension (grades 6-12)
- Get Epic! (free for 1st 30 days)
- Wonderopolis– (Search a wonder a day, access text and videos, prompting “wonders” research.
- Actively Learn (3rd-12th grade)
- TweenTribune (K-12, also provides Spanish versions of text)
- DOGOnews-Kids current news (3rd-10th grade, Spanish versions available)
ELL, Language Immersion
- Spanish stories for Immersion! https://www.thespanishexperiment.com/stories?fbclid=IwAR0YdDWyRRlIQ9mZJtFZC0ZxG20b5eIDWnsnEOSTYayk3haO_6Y4a7PxQcc#.XCedvqR2dF4.facebook
- 22 languages to learn https://www.memrise.com/
- Chinese learning activities https://chalkacademy.com/
- Foreign languages https://www.duolingo.com/
Virtual Field Trips (National Parks, museums, etc)
- The San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games. Enjoy the tour! https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/
- Tour Yellowstone National Park! https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover. https://accessmars.withgoogle.com/
- This Canadian site FarmFood 360 offers 11 Virtual Tours of farms from minks, pigs, and cows, to apples and eggs. https://www.farmfood360.ca/
- Travel to Paris, France to see amazing works of art at The Louvre with this virtual field trip. https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- This Virtual Tour of the Great Wall of China is beautiful and makes history come to life. https://www.thechinaguide.com/destination/great-wall-of-china
- This iconic museum located in the heart of London allows virtual visitors to tour the Great Court and discover the ancient Rosetta Stone and Egyptian mummies. https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com/
- Incredibox (online or app) https://www.incredibox.com/
- Music is for everyone https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Experiments